Waste Management Engineer-in-Training
Are you someone with leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a thought leader, a trusted advisor, and
a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
SOAR is looking for a Waste Management Engineer-in-Training to join our multidisciplinary team of professionals. You will have the opportunity to work on new and exciting projects while providing clients with a fully integrated and superior customer experience.
Responsibilities: (What your day will look like)
Technical Assistance and Project Coordination (85%)
- Assistance in the detailed design of solid waste facilities across Canada and their components including; landfills and landfill gas systems, organics management facilities, and transfer stations.
- Preparation of documents including; construction drawings, contract specifications, design reports, calculations, as well as stake and rightsholder communications.
- Assistance to project managers, engineers, environmental scientists and others on a variety of multidisciplinary design teams (including; project engineers, planners, biologists, technologists, etc.).
- Field work related to construction observation, data collection, and inspection.
- Coordination and management of project tasks, budgets, and schedules.
Learning and Development (10%)
- Participation in Dillon’s Early Career Development (ECD) Program.
- Contributions to SOAR’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
- Opportunity to explore working with other service lines and technical groups as individual goals and workflow permit.
Business Development (5%)
- A commitment to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development.
- Contribution to SOAR’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
Qualifications: (What you will need to succeed)
- A degree in planning, environmental studies, geography, or a related field with a strong interest in environmental assessment.
- Ability to work independently (self-driven) and contribute to a multi-disciplinary, team environment.
- Strong communication, report writing, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Driver's license.
- Strong oral and written communications skills, and keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated abilities in multidisciplinary teamwork.
- Aptitude to learn.
- Familiar with relevant environmental policies, legislation, codes, and standards will be considered an asset.
- One to three years’ Experience in solid waste management and/or environmental consulting will be considered an asset.
Why Choose SOAR
SOAR is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
In addition, we offer:
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- We offer a variety of ﬂexible work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life
- We are committed to developing the skills and knowledge of our people at every stage of their career. The ECD program is designed to accelerate the development of successful consulting careers of new graduates. The program focuses on a mix of skills and behaviours that align with technical, consulting, clients, business acumen, and early leadership.
Learning and Development Opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles
- The creation and sharing of knowledge allow us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery
- The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal learning opportunities
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance
- In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities
Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees
Goodlife Fitness Corporate Membership
- Our employees can take advantage of reduced annual membership fees
We encourage you to contact James Arnold at JArnold@soarps.ca if you require accommodation in the interview process.