Environmental Field Technician / Technologist
Are you someone with developing leadership and technical capabilities? Do you enjoy building relationships and working collaboratively in a team environment with both internal and external stakeholders? Are you a trusted partner and a problem solver? If you enjoy entrepreneurship and innovation, this opportunity is for you! As someone with excellent communication skills and business acumen, you will thrive in our fast-paced and agile environment.
SOAR is looking for a junior Environmental Field Technician or Technologist with a willingness to learn and take on new opportunities in a variety of settings including urban industrial sites, remote wilderness, and desktop work, to join our multidisciplinary team of environmental professionals. The scope of services this role will support include contaminated sites investigations, environmental assessments, wastewater, groundwater and surface water monitoring, baseline environmental studies, site visits and inspections, and compliance monitoring. The right fit for this role is someone who has organizational skills, understands how to follow and properly document procedures (such as environmental sampling protocols and site visit observations), and is able to apply learnings from past experiences to new projects and situations. Teamwork, collaboration, problem-solving skills, and a willingness to learn are essential for success in this role. If you enjoy a fast-paced, outdoor work environment with many opportunities to tackle new and exciting challenges in the field, this role as environmental technologist may be a great fit for you.
Responsibilities: (What your day will look like)
Field Activities (74%)
- Complete field work components of Phased Environmental Site Assessments and Staged Environmental Site Assessments (i.e., Preliminary Site Investigations, Detailed Site Investigations), including soil, groundwater, surface water, sediment and, soil vapour monitoring and sampling;
- Travel to a variety of off-site work locations including air travel (pending COVID-19 restrictions) and vehicle travel to job sites;
- Work alongside, oversee and direct the work of subcontractors including; heavy equipment operators, drilling contractors, excavators, utility locators, and remediation specialists; and
- Coordinate with laboratories, clients, subcontractors, and third-party stakeholders.
Technical Activities (20%)
- Develop and implement health and safety plan with a focus on maintaining health and safety as top of mind and top priority while working in the field. Comply with applicable health and safety procedures and regulations;
- Compile and analyze data including field observations, analytical data tables, borehole logs and test pit logs;
- Assist in report writing and preparation of technical memos, letters and proposals;
- Assist project managers and other team members, including geoscientists, biologists, engineers, planners and environmental scientists;
- Ability to work remotely, if required; and
- Commit to a culture of quality including keen attention to detail and proper documentation.
Learning and Development (6%)
- Commit to self-development and ongoing learning and professional development; and
- Contribute to SOAR’s corporate profile through active participation in professional associations and committees.
Qualifications: (What you will need to succeed)
- A degree or technical college certificate/diploma in environmental technology, wastewater or environmental engineering, environmental science, geoscience, or another relevant environmental science or engineering discipline;
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of physical environments and weather conditions; and
- Available to work in remote locations for extended periods of time.
- Strong work ethic with an interest in high quality field work;
- Strong organizational, communication and note-taking skills (i.e., proper documentation of field activities, field observations and/or field results);
- Ability to follow technical guidance and established policies and protocols (i.e., standard operating procedures for environmental sample collection);
- Demonstrated ability to work in multidisciplinary team and independently;
- Exceptional problem solving and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to proactively identify and address concerns that may arise when completing fieldwork;
- Basic proficiency using the Microsoft Office family of products, specifically Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel; and
- Valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Why Choose SOAR
SOAR is powered by people who are technically proficient, passionate about socially important projects, and motivated to deliver superior, tangible results. We strive to remain at the forefront of technology and innovation and are empowered to continually grow and develop.
In addition, we offer:
A competitive compensation package
- Comprehensive health benefits
- Generous retirement savings plan
Flexible work hours and remote working options
- We offer a variety of ﬂexible work options to help balance the competing demands of work and personal life
- We are committed to developing the skills and knowledge of our people at every stage of their career. The ECD program is designed to accelerate the development of successful consulting careers of new graduates. The program focuses on a mix of skills and behaviours that align with technical, consulting, clients, business acumen, and early leadership.
Learning and Development Opportunities
- As a knowledge-based business, the organic growth of our knowledge and skills occur through our work performance and roles
- The creation and sharing of knowledge allow us to take local knowledge to scale, capture lessons learned through experience, and continuously improve service delivery
- The development of self and others is an evident and measured core behaviour within our organization
- We use a composite approach to development including coaching to build the how, mentoring to share lessons, advising to round out perspectives, and co-creation of knowledge through internal learning opportunities
Focus on Innovation
- The ability to anticipate, examine, and adopt new and innovative solutions is a crucial driver for the continual and progressive advancement of our business performance
- In our culture, people are empowered to reflect and question current practices and seek forward looking solutions to today’s problems and tomorrow’s opportunities
Employee and Family Assistance program
- A variety of EFAP tools and online resources to support well-being are available to all employees
Goodlife Fitness Corporate Membership
- Our employees can take advantage of reduced annual membership fees
We encourage you to contact James Arnold at JArnold@soarps.ca if you require accommodation in the interview process.